(.)_(.)
Tuesday, February 14, 2006
making headway
I didn’t get to smoking the oysters…yet. If they haven’t spoiled (dear god let them be happy) I will try that Wednesday after work. What I did manage to do however is clear the freezer of the pork, pork fat and venison that was in there. I put the meat in the fridge to defrost starting around Thursday and also put 5 pounds of cubed pork in the fridge to cure for kielbasa on Wednesday. Saturday morning/afternoon I ground all the meat that still needed grinding and then stuffed and smoked kielbasa which came out alright. Then on Sunday I made a venison version of the Cheesy Jalapeno sausage and then smoked it. That was cool. And I also made a batch of snack sticks from the venison. You may know that we had a minor blizzard type event on Sunday so I can now add smoking sausage in a snow storm to my list of accomplishments. My biggest worries were that the low flame on the burner would be blown out and that the part of the remote thermometer that had to be outside wouldn’t like being exposed to the cold and snow. But neither was an issue so happy day for me. And finally I made up some breakfast sausage and plain ‘hamburger’ (for dad) with the remaining venison last night after work.

It was a long haul but good to get it done and we’ll have plenty of goodies to bring to PA this weekend. I didn’t touch the moose meat yet however, so that will be waiting for another fit of motivation. And mad props to Reen for (once again) being a great sport as I dirty up the kitchen and fridge with ground meat and fat everywhere, and permeate our home with the aroma from the smoker for two days.

You may notice a new feature in the sidebar. I found it difficult to do all the math of adding up the sausage made from last year, so I thought I could just keep a running total here. I’m confident that if I put my mind to it I can break the century mark.
Comments:
No moose-basa? I'll be curious to see (and taste) what becomes of the moose meat.
 
If need help reaching the century mark, I'll take as many snack sticks as possible. Samantha and Sara are looking forward to meeting "The Sausage King of Mashpee", Uncle Mark.
 
I appreciate your dedication to the cause Chris and I'll take you up on your offer to help. I just really hope I don't stink of smoke when I meet my new nieces. First impressions and all that.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Erin
  • Pete
  • Michael
  • Jason
  • A.P.


  • 23

    3.5

  • urstas
  • don't tread on duece
  • wherefore art thou patches
  • eyebrows, tivo and cannibals
  • like a boxer who is down to his last strike
  • klezmerized
  • 75 in '05
  • gumbo
  • andouille indeed have fun
  • grinder update

  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • December 2007
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2011


    Powered by Blogger