(.)_(.)
Thursday, January 19, 2006
eyebrows, tivo and cannibals
signal 238 that I am slowly aging: when I got my haircut today the lady asked if I wanted anything done with my eyebrows. Although I’d never thought of it before, I apparently associate a barber’s task with only trimming the hair on your head. Maybe the beard if it’s an old fashioned kind of place and you’ve got an extra $10. All other hair above the neck is your own damned responsibility. The only time you ever see things otherwise is when the funny old guy comes into the barber shop with hair coming out of every nook on his head. Uninterested or unable to groom himself, the fellow plops down in the chair and the scissors go to work.

So when she asked me if my eyebrows were “ok”, I said yes. Because they are just fine thank you, and I’ve got about 40 years to go until I’m the funny old guy with a Chia head.

And I suppose I should announce to the world that we bought a TiVo and are enjoying it so far. I actually got it talking with our wireless network last night in about 5 minutes. I was shocked.

Furthermore, I had my first glimpse of TiVo joy last night too. I was looking through the listings of movies to see if there was anything interesting and it turns out there was. First I found Drumline, which I believe I’ve mentioned before. But the real cool thing was that I saw a listing for Keep the River on Your Right. The book is a fascinating memoir of a young man who went off to live with natives in the Amazon jungle in the 50’s. He ends up living with them for a few years and at one point joins them on a raid of another village, watches his good friends murder the other people, and then partakes in cannibalistic rituals which were standard issue for the other tribesmen. I enjoyed reading this book a few years ago and was happy to learn that there is also a documentary which follows the guy, now 78, as he returns to the jungle to visit the tribe which he lived with in his youth. I saw it at blockbuster once but it’s not really a great Friday night date movie so I’ve always passed it over. But now here was TiVo telling me that it would be on in a few days. So I’ll record it this weekend and watch it at my leisure. Hooray for TiVo! And let’s not be miserly, hooray for cannibalism too.
Comments:
It is very difficult not to become smitten with the Tivo. I love Tivo. Were I not already married, I might marry tivo. Yay Tivo! (also glad you got the networking worked out)
 
Bravo on the installation!

So which set up did you use?
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
can you please tell my wife about how freaking awesome tivo is? she seems to value your opinion. Oh how i yearn for tivo or any of it's bastardized knock-off half siblings in the general realm of digital video recording instruments. tivo tivo tivo... how i want to make you my own.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Erin
  • Pete
  • Michael
  • Jason
  • A.P.


  • 23

    3.5

  • like a boxer who is down to his last strike
  • klezmerized
  • 75 in '05
  • gumbo
  • andouille indeed have fun
  • grinder update
  • plastic doodads
  • the draw is bloody
  • broke down kitchen
  • welcome welcome

  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • December 2007
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2011


    Powered by Blogger