(.)_(.)
Friday, May 13, 2005
my first fishy
I skipped v-ball on Tuesday on account of my ailing digit, which gave Reen and I a chance to head over to Megansett Harbor for some fishing and to watch a beautiful sunset. I’m happy to report that I caught my first fishy of the season, a very small striped bass. It was maybe 14” long and very bright and shiny. I also met a local guy named George who was happy to talk about fishin’. Imagine that. I have now caught exactly half as many fish this year as I did last season.

Before fishing however I was to meet a friend that I’ve made through volleyball. Mac is a single guy, a bit younger than me, drives a jeep, works at MBL, and is really good at volleyball. We were talking last week and he mentioned that he’s trying to start his own business. It’s strictly on the side and he’s looking for folks to help him out with it. Would I be interested to hear what he’s up to? So I meet with him at the Starbucks in town on Tuesday afternoon. He pulls a little bound booklet out of his backpack and starts talking about “wouldn’t I like to have more free time” and “could you use some extra income each month” and *shudder* “the power of franchising.” I just can’t describe how disappointed I was. I’m not sure what I was expecting and I certainly didn’t have my hopes up about finding the perfect new job or anything like that. But good gracious, anything other than this crap. As it turns out, Mac is an I(ndependent) B(ussiness) O(wner) for Quixtar which is an online shopping portal run by the lovely folks at Amway. It’s a pyramid setup which funnels people to the web site to buy stuff. There was also some scary talk about “mentors” and “self confidence enhancement” and “buying $160 worth of books to become the newest IBO.” It was just disgusting and I felt sad for Mac and for myself. But later I caught a lovely bass (see above), so I was in a better mood.

We had fun last weekend flying to PA for a surprise visit with the Hollands. It was really only a surprise for Mrs. Holland, but she was happy enough for everybody. We got to see Fiona, help Mike lay down a new patio, surprise Mom, eat at the Alpenhof (I had knackwurst…mmmmm), see Grandmom, eat a lovely Mother’s Day brunch put on by Chris and Taylor and hear Chris express disappointment that he had missed a certain episode of Oprah.

So the Revs won again last week 2-0 over Chicago in the monsoon that blew through last Saturday. They are off to a great start with 4 wins and a tie heading into this weekend’s match where they play DC United at Gillette. Reen and I are going along with Trey and brother Jay. The last two games between these teams have been thrillers. 3-3 in the playoffs last year and 4-3 at DC last month. Freddy Adu should be starting for DC and the game is on ESPN2. I even got Reen a Revs shirt for the occasion. I’ve been looking forward to this game for 2 weeks, it should be great.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Erin
  • Pete
  • Michael
  • Jason
  • A.P.


  • 23

    3.5

  • chernie
  • thursday was a good day
  • what's a bung?
  • i did these things
  • a day in the life
  • loverly weekend
  • barley clowns
  • hotwheels
  • found some pork fat (and a good burrito)
  • clams, fish and eggs

  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • December 2007
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2011


    Powered by Blogger