(.)_(.)
Wednesday, June 07, 2006
family, soccer and snobs
we had Mike, Amy and Fiona here for a visit last week which was great. Candlepin bowling (check), seafood dinner (check), The Office marathon (check), Amy painting dragonflies, a turtle and a cute cow jumping over the moon on the nursery walls (check), teaching Fiona how to roll a ball along the floor with her nose (check). So it was a pretty complete visit I’d say.

The World Cup starts this Friday and I’m just tickled pink about that. I’ve cleared out the TiVo and set recording options for all the games. I just need to find and print out a group bracket type thingy to record the scores on but that should be easy enough. The plan is to record the 3 games every day and watch them during the evening, although it’s likely I’ll only watch 2 of 3 each day. It’s a true tossup to say if the US will advance from the group stage. My brain says that they won’t but most of the rest of me can be convinced that they will. At any given moment I can make an argument one way or the other, so obviously I’m conflicted. I do feel that they’ll play well and make a good impression either way.

An important social marker among we provincial New Englanders is pronunciation of place names. A slight mistake in saying Peabody, Billerica or Cataumet and it’s instantly revealed that you ain’t from ‘round these parts. While I’m usually insulated from ridicule due to my local roots, I ran into Sesachacha Pond here at work and it stopped me dead in my tracks. I’ve only recently mastered this beast after hearing it said for about a week. Place your best guess on pronunciation below.
Comments:
Mark,

Is it Say-sah-cha-cha?

Enjoy those games. Dad is looking forward to watching some of them with you at the shore.

Mom
 
A fair guess, but not correct. Here's a hint: the correct pronunciation has only 3 sylables.
 
OK, I'm going with Sack-a-chaw.
 
So the correct way is SACK-a-chuh or SACK-a-jah. I'd say that Jason's guess looks pretty close, but he insists that somehow it's not as close as it seems.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Erin
  • Pete
  • Michael
  • Jason
  • A.P.


  • 23

    3.5

  • baloney tree
  • two countdowns
  • joy in dempseyville
  • thanks to Mike
  • belly check
  • MAKdaddy family
  • and now...
  • back to the beach
  • here we go again
  • Fr. Mark

  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • December 2007
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2011


    Powered by Blogger